Recent Commercial Posts
Is your Commercial Business ready for an emergency?
What would you do when disaster strikes?
Things to look for prior to hiring a Commercial Restoration Contractor
When your business is faced with water, fire or some other disaster-how do you work to get your livelihood back up and running? Those damages can be easily repaired or could put you face to face with losing a business. When you face any situation of mitigation and restoration, who do you call? Who do you trust?
It’s time to pick up the phone and call in professionals. However, how well do you know the restoration company you are calling? When looking for restoration contractors, you must remind yourself that you are allowing workers into your space to fix damage to your business. You want workers who are expertly trained professionals with experience. These experts are fully equipped with the latest cleaning instruments and current restoration techniques. Commercial properties expose contractors to an entirely different field of fire requirements, building codes and zoning restrictions. As an owner, you will want to do the research on companies you can trust to follow all guidelines.
Here are a few things you can do to avoid contacting fake, or unprofessional restoration companies.
Check if Their Website is Genuine
The internet can be a place for scammers and false people. However, it is also a good place to find restoration companies the quickest and easiest way possible.
You will know if the site is from a professional company when you are presented with links to their services. Use these links to research their work, their guidelines as a company.
Some services for commercial restoration include:
- Sewage Remediation
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Water Damage Restoration
- Content Restoration and Care
- Mold Remediation
- Community involvement
Read Client Testimonials, Check Reviews
Most service companies are turning to social media to keep communities and would be customers well informed. Use their websites, their Facebook, etc. to find reviews and details on services provided. Looking at what previous clients have said about the companies will help you to have an informed decision.
By reading the client’s testament, you get an idea of how this company will handle the situation you are facing.
Call Them Up, It Never Hurts To Ask
Professional workers know what they are talking about; they know the history, and services their company provides, and they know how to solve simple restorations even when they are on the other line.
If the job was done by unprofessional workers, it may do more harm than good to your property. Instead of fixing the problem, they could complicate the situation with sloppy work, and mess-ups; leaving you in a difficult dilemma.
Ask questions. Don’t ever be afraid to ask questions.
SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac is ready. We have the Team. We have the Experience. We have the Knowledge to get the job done right.
SERVPRO has programs set up for Commercial Businesses to have plans in place for emergency situations. Contact us today to help you set up your FREE plan-be ready for anything that happens.
Build a Relationship
Let us be a resource for you
Building Relationships is Good for Business
SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac is dedicated to getting your business or Commercial property back up and going quickly. Don’t let an emergency force you to depend on a partner you don’t know. At SERVPRO, we are here to help you prepare for the unexpected. We also provide several services non-emergency related. Building a relationship with a trusted partner is good business. Meet our staff, review scenario plans, run through situations, tour our buildings or let us partner with you on community events. We are also a locally owned and operated business. We help you be ready. We can help get your facilities back to where they were and/or better!
Don’t let an emergency get in the way of the foundation of a strong business. Strong businesses are built on a foundation of strong relationships-this has always been true. The relationships business owners, operators, marketing and other employees are relationships you are building with customers.
The businesses who reach out to us are in a time of crisis. Because of this, these relationships should be built on a foundation of need. We want you to have your confidence established before-by doing this-we can only make this relationship stronger!
To learn more about building relationships that will become the basis of your commercial business needs. Contact SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac, we are here to help. “Like it never even happened.”
Keep your Business and your People safe
Preventing Commercial Property Fires
Fires are so destructive and extremely dangerous to businesses and employees. They threaten individual well-being and property. Commercial fires can happen due to a large variety of things. They are something every business or property owner wants to avoid dealing with. Being prepoared for these emergencies is the best way to keep individuals safe and get your business moving quicker.
Restaurants have a higher likelihood of fire in their cooking area. Keeping cooking services clean, maintaining the Cooktop hoods properly as well as providing safety protocol for all heated services will help to avoid any issues. It is important to go over all risks and prevention measures with all staff. Having proper fire extinguishing equipment installed and located will keep damage to a minimum.
Lighting and Electrical Issues
Personal property or commercial, wherever electricity is involved-there is a risk of something going wrong. These could be from old wiring to overloaded fuses. The fault coming from electrical and lighting issues is large. Keep unqualified individuals away from working on circuitry and electrical. This is a good first step to avoiding risk to your business and staff. Make sure all electrical work is up to code and done by a professional properly.
Most businesses now have smoke free facilities. Be sure to maintain these rules with all of the staff. Smoking should only be done in designated areas. This should only happen far away from any flammable services or liquids. Smoking devices should always be disposed of properly to avoid any accidental ignition.
Stay Calm. Contact your fire department. Make sure If you discover that your business is or has been the site of a fire, then stay calm, but act quickly. Make sure the building has been evacuated and that everyone is safe and accounted for.
When the fire is out and the area is safe, turn to the team that can help your business get back on its feet. With SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac, you will get professional help from technicians who are qualified to tend to fire-damaged commercial properties. They can make your business ready for clients, customers and your employees to get back to business.
Commercial Water Damage Tips
Get your Business up and running.
When your community and your family rely on your business, you want to make sure it stays protected. Part of that protection is making sure issues like water don’t shut you down.
Start by anticipating what could happen. We can’t predict the future, but we can think of worst-case scenario. What do you do if a water main break? How do you keep employees safe? How do you prevent or eliminate business disruptions that could result from water damage? How do you keep communication lines open between management, staff and customers? How do you get your business back?
Make a plan
While thinking through possible commercial water damage scenarios for your business, you made notes of the solutions you came up with for your “what if?” questions.
Now put your plans into action to develop an emergency plan for your business. A good emergency plan should provide for the safety of all people who could enter your business, as well as procedures for carrying on with business during a variety of challenges.
It should include,
- an emergency contact list (accessible from off-site)
- emergency procedures
- emergency staffing instructions
- vendor lists and contact info
- data backup plans and other resources to support business operations in case you have to temporarily or permanently relocate your business operations.
Stuff gets old. It breaks. It fails. When plumbing or water-management equipment in your commercial facility fails, the resulting water damage restoration costs can stack up fast. So the operative word for commercial water damage prevention is maintenance. Routinely inspect all visible plumbing, test sump pumps, check exterior gutters and downspouts, muck out drainage ditches and storm drains and ensure roof structures are in good repair.
Take your Business to the next level
Dingy? Not here!
Having your business properly cleaned plays a huge role in the message you want to send your clients/customers. Commercial carpets withstand more wear and tear then many homes. It’s important to have them professionally cleaned on a regular basis. This will provide a crisp, clean and healthier environment for anyone in the business.
So why is Carpet cleaning so important?
Keeping your business head of the game is hard and diligent work. Keeping your floors in top condition may not seem to be the top of the priority list…. but it should be close.
One reason is you want to make a fantastic first impression. The effort you put into presenting your business to the public shows the positive energy you want to portray. When you have visitors to your workplace, they could get an inaccurate idea about the business if you the first impression is a dirty carpet. Professional commercial carpet cleaning can improve and maintain the overall appearance of your building. This also helps your customers/clients relax and feel at home.
Another reason protects your investments. You can do a lot of your own, but there is just something about having that professional provide the two-step system to show how wonderful your carpets can look. You also want to always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on cleaning the carpet to avoid any issue with the warranty. Also- dirt, grime, dust and allergens can easily get trapped in carpet fibers and eventually can make their way into the air, which can lead to poor indoor air quality. Keeping duct work and carpets clean improve air quality quickly.
Scheduling maintenance cleanings from a professional company will help to maintain the carpeting and or your flooring-maybe you can postpone that replacement for a few years. Be sure to contact professionals if there are spots on the carpet that are not easily removed-they could be removed before anything permanent sets in. Regular cleanings can extend the life of your carpets, which could result in long-term savings.
Just like any other regular maintenance, flooring and carpet need to be cared for. As far as determining how often? That is something a few factors need to be taken into consideration.
Keep in mind the size of your business, what type of flooring and or carpet you have, how much foot traffic you have and what type of services your business provides. (we may want to clean the waiting room of a medical facility differently than a church.
Contact SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac for a quote on regular carpet or flooring cleaning-we will be happy to guide your business to the next level!
Call the Professionals
Back to business
Be Prepared for the Next Water Damage
When the next water damage happens, is your business ready?
Broken water pipe, drain backed up, storm…no matter the reason-water damage can cause havoc for a business and needs to be resolved quickly.
SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac is able to move in quickly. We are able to start removing the excess water and start the work of making things go back to normal.
We bring in air movers, wet vacuuming supplies, dehumidifiers and air scrubbers. These all will dry the affected areas quickly and thoroughly-minimizing further issues.
Air movers help to ventilate an affected area. They circulate air so that the moisture can be extracted by dehumidifiers. Dehumidifiers are an important piece of restoration drying equipment. Humid environments are ripe for the development of mold and bacteria. Businesses always want to maintain safe environments, so drying them quickly and effectively is important.
HEPA air scrubbers remove contaminants from the air. Air scrubbers are also important in mold remediation and prevention. When filtering mold spores from the contaminated environment, HEPA filtration ensures that even the smallest soot or mold particles are removed from the air safely.
Our Commercial Grade equipment can handle any size disaster. Contact our office when disaster hits. "Like it never even happened."
Keep a Plan ready for a Fire Emergency at Work
Be ready for any Emergency
Keep a Plan ready for a Fire Emergency at Work
Most business owners have plans for all types of emergencies. This is particularly important to protect their employees.
One such situation is in the event of a Fire. Where do employees and/or guest exit? How big is the building, are there multiple exits, are the employees trained on the quickest and safest routes? Be sure to begin with the basic plan and post them. Employees should be aware of these plans and practice on a regular basis.
Build a Fire Safety team. The size of this team will depend on the number of employees and size of the building. This team would be in charge of developing the Fire escape plans and executing training protocols. Your company, with the safety team, can be in contact with your local Fire departments. The local Fire Departments are the best resource to know what you should and shouldn’t do in Fire Emergency Training.
Things to keep in mind: Do you need a sprinkler system? Do you have Fire Extinguishers located in proper locations? Do you need Fire Blankets? Do you know what to do first? Do you have anyone with special needs taken care of?
Always keep in mind-you want to keep employees and guests safe at all times. Once everyone is safe-then you execute your plan to get back to Business!
Fire Safety In The Workplace
Workplace fires injure many workers each year. Their injuries lead to untold tumult, disrupting their lives and their families. Even in those fortunate cases where no one is injured, the property damage caused by fire can be enough to bankrupt many businesses. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that fires cost industrial and manufacturing employers alone over $1 billion in property damage each year.
Establishing and maintaining fire protection in the workplace
- Make a periodic clean-up of entire work site and keep grass and weeds under control.
- Regularly dispose of combustible debris and scrap from your work area.
- Use only approved containers and tanks for storage, handling, and transport of combustible and flammable liquid.
- Always perform evaluation procedures before performing operations that present fire hazards like welding.
- Never pile or lay material in a way that it covers or blocks access to firefighting equipment.
- Make sure to use only approved containers for the separation and disposal of combustible refuse. Remember to always replace the lid.
- Never store flammable materials within 10 feet of a building or other structure.
- Stack and pile all materials in orderly and stable piles.
- Never let unnecessary combustible materials get accumulated in any part of your work area.
Safety measures for workplace fire equipment
- Prohibit smoking at or around work areas where fire hazards are present. Put up signs, saying no smoking signs or open flames.
- Configure an alarm system that consists of both visual and audible signals (bells, sirens, whistles, blinking lights).
- Post reporting instructions and local Fire Department codes on info boards, common areas, and areas near the phone.
- First, inspect and maintain fire fighting equipment regularly.
- Place an adequate number of firefighting equipment in plain view in your work areas. When appropriate, label the location of each one and make sure it is properly rated.
- Provide employees with proper training in fire prevention and protection.
If your business or home has been damaged by fire, contact SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac 309-827-7500
The best way to control mold growth in commercial buildings, office buildings, manufacturing areas and schools is to prevent moisture problems before they start. Here are some tips to reduce water and moisture and keep your commercial property free from contamination.
- Fix any plumbing leaks as soon as possible. Standing water is a prime cause of mold growth.
- Watch for condensation and wet spots around your building foundation, roofs or ceilings.
- Keep any heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) drip pans clean and flowing properly. Be sure that regular building/HVAC inspections and maintenance are scheduled and performed.
- Dehumidifiers can help indoor humidity. It should be below 60% relative humidity or 30-50%, if possible.
- Keep your foundations dry. There should be proper drainage away from the building foundation. If rainwater continues to enter your basement from the outside, mold growth can occur.
In many cases, the inspections and mold removal work can be performed during a business or school’s off-hours in order to limit any disruptions.
If you suspect mold in your commercial property, SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac can help. 309-827-7500
Cleaning Your Commercial Carpet
How should you clean your commercial carpet to keep it looking good and give it the longest possible lifespan?
Regular vacuuming is one of the most effective (and cost-effective) ways of removing dirt from your carpeting. But you have to make sure it’s done right. That means using the right vacuum and going slowly over the carpet in both east/west and north/south directions.
How often should you vacuum your carpets?
- For heavy traffic areas like entrances and ground floor halls, you’ll definitely want to vacuum daily.
- Areas with medium traffic like general offices areas or corridors should ideally be vacuumed daily, or at least 3-4 times a week.
- Lower traffic areas like conference rooms and executive offices can usually be done weekly, unless they see a high amount of traffic.
Individual stains can really diminish the usable life of carpet. Removing dirt is one thing, but getting out a stain that’s set can be a real challenge. Stains can also create quite an eyesore, which will often compel managers to replace the carpet sooner than they would otherwise.
The key to preventing such stains is spot cleaning. The sooner you can treat the stain spot, the better your chances of successfully removing it.
- For heavier stains like dyes, glue residue, and even ketchup and mustard, you may need to call on a professional.
- It’s also a good idea to have someone regularly check your carpeting for any stains to spot clean them. You can also have this done as part of a carpet preventative maintenance program (more on that below).
The best method to keep your carpet looking good and lasting long is having a preventative cleaning program. This is a program where your carpet is professionally cleaned at regular intervals (which may differ for different areas based on the state of the carpet, usage, and traffic).
Like regular vehicle maintenance, the idea of a preventative cleaning program is to invest a little to keep your carpet in good shape so you can avoid big, costly restorative cleanings down the road. Preventative cleanings will also keep your carpets looking cleaner for longer.
How often should you have preventative cleaning done?
- For heavy traffic areas like entrances and ground floor halls, you want preventative cleanings 12-24 times a year. The more the better, but at least once a month.
- For medium traffic areas like administrative offices or above ground halls, 4 times a year (quarterly) is the ideal frequency.
- For lighter traffic areas like boardrooms and conference rooms, twice a year should do the trick.
Protect your investment by contacting SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac to clean and maintain your commercial carpet. 309-827-7500
Commercial Water Damage
Commercial properties present unique situations that require unique solutions. While the jist of water damage restoration is the same whether it’s a residential property or a commercial building, the urgency and scope of work can be different when you’re talking about a commercial property. At SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac, we have crews specifically trained to handle commercial water damage cleanup services that you might need. From start to finish, we help you get your business back up and running fast and affordably.
Commercial water mitigation companies need to understand the importance of quickly getting your business operational. They need to have the equipment and team available to respond in force given the scale of most commercial water losses. At SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac, we are fully capable of handling any size commercial water damage in central Illinois that you might have.
Providing water damage repair services in a commercial building can be tricky given the scale of the damage. It requires properly trained technicians armed with the right equipment. Continued business down time can put a big dent in your bottom line.
If you experience a commercial water loss in central Illinois call us 24/7/365
Safety tips to keep your commercial property safe
- Enforce no smoking policies in all areas inside your building. Regardless of what the commercial property is used for, smoking should not be allowed inside the building at any time. Post no smoking signs in all common areas and make the no smoking policy very clear when a new employee or tenant enters the building. You can have designated areas for smokers outdoors, a safe distance away from the building. These areas should be fitted with fireproof containers where people can safely dispose of ashes and cigarettes.
- Install automatic sprinklers and fire extinguishers on all floors. During the building of your commercial property or a remodel, an experienced contractor should install an automatic sprinkler system that is ready to activate at the first sign of fire or smoke. Fire extinguishers should be placed on all floors of the property and within the guidelines of your state. Training for employees is necessary – they must understand how to use the extinguishers in order for the tools to be effective.
- Install smoke detectors and fire alarms. Just like a sprinkler system, fire alarms and detectors are an automatic tool that will go off at the first sign of smoke or flames. These alarms will alert those in the building to the fire immediately, giving them the opportunity to pull an alarm to send a signal to the fire department.
- Check all equipment regularly. Alarms and extinguishers only work to alert the proper people if they are functioning properly. Run tests every six months to ensure they are working as intended. If they are not, hire a professional to repair them.
- Educate employees and tenants on fire safety. Many people have never experienced a fire and have never gone through fire safety training. It is important to walk them through where they can find fire extinguishers, fire alarms, and escape plans. This will help minimize panic and confusion in the event of an emergency.
Even with the highest level of planning and prevention, a fire can still break out in your commercial property. Once everyone is safe and sound, it’s time to begin rebuilding and restoring your building by calling SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac.
SERVPRO of Bloomington / Pontiac 309-827-7500
Commercial Fire Damage
When a fire breaks out in your facility, all operations come to a halt. Not only does the fire cause structural and smoke damage to your building, but water damage from the sprinkler system or firefighters’ hoses can also occur.
It is recommended that restoration work be done during the first 24 to 48 hours after fire damage occurs. This allows for the quick, efficient stabilization of your facility and minimizes the downtime of your business.
Call SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac 24/7 emergency response team to restore your building. We have the capacity to handle disasters at any size of facility, regardless of the type of fire.
Our fire restoration services include:
- Emergency Board-Up
- Soot Removal
We also remove and secure damaged contents during the cleaning and restoration process. Our certified training and cleaning methods help make cleanup more effective and cost-efficient.
SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac has been proudly serving central Illinois since 1975. We are locally owned and for over 40 years we have been a reliable local leader in the restoration and cleaning industry. Our highly trained staff understands the stress and worry that comes with fire, water and mold damage and the disruption it causes your life and home or business.
CALL US TODAY 309-827-7500
Restoring Your Central Illinois Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at Central Illinois commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Bloomington / Gibson City / S. McLean County
SERVPRO of Bloomington / Gibson City / S. McLean County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.