Recent General Posts
SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac goes "Over the Edge"
What are you passionate about?
SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac has worked hard to promote community engagement between businesses and outreach organizations.
In working with the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington/Normal as well as the Child Protection Network, we strive to be an example in our communities.
This year we are participating in The Over The Edge campaign! We are going to repel off a local hotel-down 11 stories! This event has been postponed due to COVID-19 but is now ready to rock! Our team is fundraising and working to reach the goal.
Next up-we are sponsoring the Golf Carts at their annual golf outing a week later!! We are excited to be part of these communities.
Why cleaning your home is so important.
Doesn't this look relaxing?
We all know you need to clean your house or apartment regularly. However, do you know the staple reasons as to why?
There many people that put it off or possibly don’t bother cleaning at all. Next time you aren’t motivated to clean your home-just remind yourself of all the benefits. Here are some reasons on why it’s important to regularly clean your home. Keep in mind:
It helps keep your home organized: Cleaning your home regularly helps keep you organized-it’s just that simple. You know where all things are and don’t waste time trying to find your keys, pens, craft supplies or important documents.
Massively Reduces stress: It’s proving that living in a stressful environment or having to search for lost items increases stress. Just looking at cluttered spaces is stressful reminder of what needs to be done and makes your home even seem smaller than it truly is. Instead of the worrying on how you never clean your living room, avoid stress by cleaning weekly.
Prevents you from collecting junk: By regularly cleaning your home, garage or any storage area- you get rid of unwanted papers, junk mail, and other items you don’t need anymore. Don’t let these items pile up – look through it every few weeks and get rid of what you can as soon as possible, you will be happier!
Reduces allergies: If your home isn’t cleaned regularly, dust and other allergens will build up and hang out in the air. Cleaning every week will help avoid allergies or other breathing problems from progressing.
Avoids spreading germs: Keeping your home clean will stop the spread of germs and ultimately help keep you healthier. Cleaning up spills, vacuuming your carpets, and keeping your kitchen and bathroom clean will kill germs. Avoid getting sick by cleaning your home regularly.
Keeps out pests---Yes!: Bugs and rodents are attracted to spills, food particles, and other sources of food. If you don’t clean your kitchen, dining room, and other place you eat, you have a higher chance of having pests. Not only are pests unpleasant, they also spread germs, disease, and allergens. Keep your home clean and keep the pests OUT!
These are some of the reasons to regularly clean your home. We offer a variety of cleaning services and can help you keep your home clean. SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac is a locally owned and operated service company-we can help keep your space safe and healthy. Contact us today with any questions: 309-827-7500.
Don’t forget about your General Cleanings!
SERVPRO Team hard at work
We all are busy. Even when we are at home more because of a pandemic-we still don’t seem to have enough hours in the day to detail our homes as we should or would like too. What are some things we forget about? How often do we clean items? What actually needs to be cleaned?
We all know as renters, homeowners, landlords, business owners, etc…. keeping our areas cleaned properly makes for a nice living and work environment. It can be a hassle to do chores. It can be frustrating to realize the items that are unexpectedly neglected. What do you do?
First, Give yourself a break.
You are not alone. Despite what you may believe-no one has their house 100% from top to bottom….at least not on their own and not with a family around for sure! Use the tools that you have at your disposal. This is as simple as printing or using an ap that schedules your cleaning days. The schedule should include daily, monthly, seasonal and yearly cleaning items. A good example is you don’t clean your siding as often as you clean your toilets. So taking a second to not stress over it and develop a plan-gets you past part one.
Second, Make your plan make sense.
If you have 6 bathrooms, it would be really difficult to clean all 6 in one day-on your own-and do anything else. Life is too short to just clean all day. Make a plan-involve those whom live in the household and stick to it. Once it becomes routine-it’s easier.
Third, Always make sure you have supplies on the ready.
Once you are complete with a cleaning rotation-check your supplies-if you are low, add it to your shopping list. This helps keep you on track. That way when you go to clean your windows, you can do more than one window with the cleaner you have. Supplies are essential to the professionals-they are just as important to the individual.
Fourth (and last), Know who to call when it is an item beyond your skills or your products.
When it comes to cleaning carpets, duct work or other specific items-SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac is there to help. When you come across items or areas that need a deeper clean or help removing mold-SERVPRO of Bloomington/Pontiac has the trained staff to complete the job.
Things that need to be routinely cleaned:
- Washing Machines
- Door Frames, Baseboards, Banisters
- Under, Over and inside any Appliance
- Trash cans
- Ceiling Fans
- Light Switches, Door Knobs and Handles
- Shower Curtain and Liner Replacement
- Toothbrush Holder, Cotton Ball/pad holders
- And many others
Power is out-now what?
Food safety during a power outage
The power has gone out, now what?
There are often a lot of questions. How long do you have until your food is in trouble? What temperature is it not safe anymore?
Below are a few helpful hints on food in the power outage process:
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as long as humanly possible. This will maintain the colder temperature longer.
Buy dry ice! This will keep the refrigerator as cold as possible if the power is going to be out for a prolonged period of time.If you plan to eat refrigerated or frozen meat, poultry, fish, or eggs while they are still at safe temperatures, it is important that each item is thoroughly cooked to a safe. This helps to ensure that any foodborne bacteria that may be present are destroyed.
- The refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours if unopened.
- A full freezer will keep the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed.
However, if at any point the food was above 40º F for 2 hours or more (or 1 hour if temperatures are above 90 º F) — discard it.
Be safe. Stay healthy. And hopefully your power is only out a shorter period of time.
Outdoor Fire Safety
Summer Outdoor living is like nothing else! Enjoy it safely!
Summer Outdoor Fire Safety
It’s Summer Time!
We want to remind our community of simple safety measures to keep your summer celebrations happy and safe.
Outdoor living becomes a large part of households over the summer. While this is a lot of fun, we do need to keep certain safety measures in mind.
Here are a few tips from experts on how to keep your cookouts fun and safe. Experts want everyone to keep in mind many common-sense practices. These include both fire safety and grilling safety.
Some of those fire safety and grilling practices include:
- **DO NOT USE GASOLINE** or any other petroleum-based substance. These are actually explosive rather than being a proper fuel to build a simple fire.
- Keep any flammable substances far and safely away from any fire or hot surface. This keeps any accidental spark or heat ignition, from happening.
- Never leave a flame unattended. Be it firepit or BBQ Grills-never leave it unattended. Things can get out of control quickly.
- Always follow campground fire-safety rules. If a fire ring is not available or you have not brought your own, be sure to select a spot on which to build a fire that is a safe distance (at least 15 feet) away and downwind from dry grass, trees, and tents.
- Always keep the size of grill or pit fires to a manageable size. Keep them so that if you have a pail of sand, water, an extinguisher or baking soda nearby-you can keep it under control quickly.
- Keep children and pets always at least 3 feet away from grills or campfires. And keep matches and lighters away from children at all times.
- Always make sure that a fire is completely doused and out before leaving a campsite, covering the grill or retiring for the evening.
These are just a few helpful hints to keep everyone safe and have a happy summer.
EMERGENCY READY PROFILE
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster is to Plan For it NOW.
As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. By developing a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile Advantages:
- A no cost assessment of your facility. – This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. – It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. – This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. – You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. – This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. – Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
For more ERP info call SERVPRO of Bloomington / Gibson City / S. McLean County we Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 309-827-7500
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm.
SERVPRO of Bloomington / Gibson City / S. McLean County is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Bloomington / Gibson City / S. McLean County
SERVPRO of Bloomington / Gibson City / S. McLean County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet Our Crew